Asparagus and Shrimp with Umeboshi Sauce
Umeboshi (pickled plum) is a staple Japanese ingredient. It has an antibacterial ability that keeps food safe and refreshing, making it perfect for a warm day treat in both taste and hygiene. The bright green asparagus and pale orange shrimp also bring a summer feel.
[Ingredients] (Serves 4)
– 1 bunch asparagus (about 15)
– 10 medium shrimp, deveined and boiled
– 4-5 umeboshi (pickled plum)
– 1 1/2 tbsp sake
– 1 tbsp mirin
1. Put sake and mirin in a small pot, and bring it to a boil.
2. Turn off heat and set it aside.
3. Discard the tough bottom of asparagus by bending it until the tough part breaks off.
4. With peeler, peel the skin off the end of asparagus.
5. Cut asparagus into 1 inch long pieces.
6. Boil water in a pot and then add some salt. Add asparagus and boil for 1 minute.
7. Immediately, drain the asparagus and put into an ice bath.
8. Drain the asparagus and set it aside.
9. Take out the pit from the umeboshi (pickled plum) and mince them well with knife until they turn into a paste.
10. Mix the paste with sake and mirin and mix well.
11. Put shrimp, asparagus and the umeboshi mixture in a bowl, and mix well.
12. Serve in an individual bowl or plate.